These are the moments…
There are moments you live for as a writer. In a ‘moment’ of appreciation I decided to compile a list of the sweetest moments of them all.
- Getting an agent (TICK!)
- Getting your first book deal (TICK!)
- Getting your second book deal (TICK!)
- Getting your third book deal (come on, come on, come on!)
- Having your name printed on a library bag alongside Charles Dickens and J.R.R. Tolkien (TICK! I have proof! See image below!)
- Sitting on a panel next to the one and only Hazel Edwards who wrote your favourite picture book as a kid: There’s a hippopotamus on my roof eating cake. (TICK!)
- Being asked to judge literary awards you have previously failed to win (TICK!)
- Being invited to the swanky inaugural Prime Minister’s Literary Awards at Parliament House (TICK!)
- Going back to your primary school and university as a guest speaker (TICK!)
- Being the special guest on a TV show based around a guy in a possum suit (TICK!)
I could go on, but I will finish here with the top moment: writing – whether you are sitting in the sun by the window or in the passenger seat of the car on a long road trip or squeezing in a few hundred words on your lunch break – writing is the sweetest moment of them all.
I am quite the musical buff, so to inspire others to find their ‘moments’ I will leave you with David Hasselhoff (yes, DAVID HASSELHOFF) singing ‘This is the moment’ from Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. If I could find a quality version I would have left you with the Michael Ball version (the man my partner refers to as my boyfriend, because I have a big glee-like crush on him).